This very popular presentation on March 14 was given by Julie Borneman, owner of Watermark Woods native plant nursery. She covered why and how to best to use native plants in your yard. She also discussed factors to consider when choosing plants as well as alternatives to common nonnative landscape plants. Her presentation was full of photos of native plants that are not only beautiful, but serve as part of a functioning ecosystem. Before taking questions, Julie provided a few parting thoughts:
- 95% of the United States was once habitat.
- Today only 5% remains, primarily in parks.
- We need to bring nature home and share our habitat with wildlife.
- Your lawn was once a habitat.
- Replacing even a small area of lawn with native plantings will raise the biodiversity of your yard.
I missed the live presentation but enjoyed this just as well! Thank you