Frogs and toads are a vital part of our ecosystem and are considered an indicator species. Fluctuations in their populations can give us vital information regarding the overall health of their habitat. Loudoun Wildlife Conservancy’s amphibian monitoring program collects data that is compared over time to observe trends in populations and identify areas of population decline. Volunteers will monitor specific locations from February to August.
During this training you will learn:
- Importance of monitoring frogs and toads
- Different amphibian habitats
- Identification of local frogs and toads
- Frog/toad monitoring protocols
- Locating appropriate habitats for monitoring