Walk for Wildlife is a month-long event in which you compete to see how many wildlife places you can visit, how many wildlife species you can count and how many miles you can walk. This event is a fun way to get outside, and you can help support our programs that benefit wildlife and healthy habitats.
- Form a team,
- Join an existing team
- Form a Youth Team (classroom, scout group, organized youth group, etc.), or
- Support by donating to one or all teams
Your team can be just you, or you and your friends, your family, co-workers or a youth group. Everyone is welcome ─ from budding naturalists to seasoned experts, all that’s required is an interest in wildlife!
When? October 1 – 31
You can participate any or all days during the month of October with your team.
Your friends and family from around the world can join in the fun of this event.
How? Record your locations visited, miles traversed, species observed.
For recording locations visited and miles traversed, use our Google Form. (This form will open on October 1 and close on October 31.) Once Walk for Wildlife begins on October 1, you can check out the leaderboard for locations visited and miles traversed.
For species observations, use the free iNaturalist app:
- Set up an account and join the Loudoun Wildlife Conservancy’s Walk for Wildlife 2023: LWC project. View instructions for joining the project.
- There is no need to know what the plant or animal is that you have photographed, iNaturalist will help with that. All you need to do is upload your photo and other members of iNaturalist will help ID the species.
- We’ll also show you how to use iNaturalist at the kickoff event if you’re unfamiliar with it. (View tutorial videos)
You can count any plants, trees, mushrooms and fungi, insects, birds, mammals, fish, amphibians, and reptiles. If it’s alive and it’s not a human or domestic animal, count it.
Your $50 registration fee includes:
- Commemorative t-shirt if you register by October 4;
- Participation in LWC’s month-long Walk for Wildlife event;
- Admission to a pre-event kickoff event and mixer;
- Admission to a post-event celebration;
- Advance notice of special events; and,
- LWC membership through the end of 2024 (if not already a 2024 member).
- Some teams offer additional rewards for participation on that team.
Everyone wins in this event because we’re getting out in nature, seeing and learning about new things, and helping to provide critical citizen science data for the study of our wildlife systems.
Special recognition will be made for the top three teams and individuals reporting:
- Most parks/wildlife locations visited;
- Most species observed; and,
- Most trail miles traversed;
Register and Support Teams Now
Visit the Registration Page to form or join a team, or visit the Supporters Page to make a donation. To form or support a Youth Team visit the Youth Team Page. Anyone donating $100 or more will be acknowledged on our Thank You page.
Timeline: Save These Dates
Register online beginning June 1, 2023
- We’re keeping registration open through the end of October just in case we have any late joiners.
Kickoff Event & T-shirt Pickup: September 23, 2023, 12:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. at the Gatehouse
Come by the Gatehouse at Morven Park to pick up your t-shirt (or bandanas for youth teams), see some friends, ask questions, learn about iNaturalist, and get excited to Walk for Wildlife.
Walk for Wildlife Event: October 1 – October 31, 2023
- Gather your team and get out there!
- Record your findings via iNaturalist.
- Share your experience! Use hashtag #LWCWalk4Wildlife when sharing content on social media. You can post before you go out, while you’re out, and after you’re done, and we’ll re-share your content.
Closing Celebration and Prize Medal Pickup: November 5, 2023, Catoctin Creek Distillery, 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm
- Join us for a nature-enthusiast gathering to pick up your prize medal.
- We’ll share some highlights from the event and celebrate the citizen science efforts and the positive impact they have on our community.
Thank You to Our Sponsors
Please join Loudoun Wildlife Conservancy in thanking the companies sponsoring the Walk for Wildlife event. View Sponsors
If you would like to become a sponsor, please sign up using the Walk for Wildlife donation form.