Forming a Birdathon Team
Be a counter and collect pledges. You can count any way you like, from sitting and watching a feeder to visiting a variety of habitats or joining us on one of our WMBD Bird Walks. Just follow these simple steps:
- First, form a team. This is a great activity for families, scout groups and other youth groups as a way to teach children about birds and their habitats while also raising funds for a great cause.
- Select a day for your count during the count period described above. You can do your Birdathon at any time and at any place within Loudoun county during that window and you can count species for as many hours as you like during the 24-hour period that you select.
- Sign up for the Birdathon using the form below. Once we receive your information, we will post your team name so people can sponsor your team.
- Your supporters can donate here or they can email email@example.com to make a pledge. We will notify you of any donation or pledge made to support your team.
- Download the Birdathon materials below.
- Enlist your sponsors (family, friends, neighbors, colleagues, businesses, your employer), asking them to make a pledge. Don’t be shy. You’ll be surprised how many people will contribute. Some people may pledge a flat sum amount and give you a check on the spot while others may sponsor you on a per species basis (e.g. .25 cents per species). All donations are tax deductible.
- On the day of your counting, find as many species as possible and mark off the checklist. Refer to our Birdathon Rules below for specific guidelines.
- After the count, fill in your totals, collect your pledges and mail your sponsor sheet, money raised and bird checklist to Loudoun Wildlife Conservancy (P.O. Box 1892, Leesburg, VA 20177) no later than June 15.