Squirrel Appreciation Day
This may not have been pre-printed on your calendar but indeed, today is Squirrel Appreciation Day. 🙂
1) Give a squirrel a treat! Get some nice tasty seeds, nuts or suet from a local feed store and put those out for squirrels to enjoy. Places like Rust Nature Sanctuary Shop or Tractor Supply in Leesburg, or Southern States in Purcellville, or The Bird Feeder in Reston all have great selections.
2) Make a peanut butter pine cone and hang it in a tree. Just find a pine cone and smear peanut butter into the crevices. For extra goodness, roll it in some nuts. The squirrels will love it.
3) Swap out your computer’s desktop wallpaper for the day with a picture of a cute squirrel. To do this, just find a picture you like online, right-click the picture and select “Set picture as desktop background.”
4) Check out some cool squirrel videos on YouTube. This one is just a minute long and is all about squirrels. In addition to this, people have posted a variety of videos showing squirrel antics:
5) And don’t forget about our flying squirrels! Smear peanut butter on a tree for a few nights and you may be able to see them. Here’s our podcast all about Flying Squirrels and the fun you can have with them.
6) Have a Squirrel Party! Invite a few friends over, play some scrabble or poker or something, put out some assorted nuts for snacks, find some fun squirrel-themed party favors. I know, you just found out about this and didn’t have time to plan! That’s ok. The squirrels won’t mind if you celebrate a few days late — they probably don’t even know about Squirrel Appreciation Day (and your friends probably don’t either unless they read this blog post).
Anyway, have fun. Squirrels can be silly and silly is good!