Be a counter and collect pledges. You can count any way you like, from sitting and watching a feeder to visiting a variety of habitats or joining us on one of our bird walks. Just follow these simple steps:
- First, form a team. This is a great activity for families, scout groups and other youth groups as a way to teach children about birds and their habitats while also raising funds for a great cause. Teams must be comprised of at least two people and no more than six.
- Select a single 48-hour time period (or portion of) for your count during the count period (April 22 to May 21). You can do your Birdathon at any time and at any place within Loudoun County during that window and you can count species for as many hours as you like during the 48-hour period that you select. If this is your first Birdathon, check out Tips for New Birdathon Teams.
- Sign up for the Birdathon using the form below. Once we receive your information, we will post your team name so people can sponsor your team.
- Your supporters can donate online or email email@example.com to make a pledge. We will notify you of any donation or pledge made to support your team.
- Download the Birdathon materials below.
- Enlist your sponsors (family, friends, neighbors, colleagues, businesses, your employer), asking them to make a pledge. You’ll be surprised how many people will contribute. Some people may pledge a flat sum amount and give you a check on the spot while others may sponsor you on a per species basis (e.g. .25 cents per species). All donations are tax deductible.
- On the day(s) of your counting, find as many species as possible and mark off the checklist. Refer to the Birdathon Rules for specific guidelines.
- Use hashtags #LWCBirdathon2023 and #LWCBirdathon when sharing content on social media. You can post before you go out birding, while you’re birding, and after you’re done, and we’ll re-share your content on our website and elsewhere.
- Send a short, written summary of your Birdathon experience, including any photos of birds or your team, to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will post these summaries on our website.
- After the count, fill in your totals, collect your pledges and mail your sponsor sheet, money raised and bird checklist to Loudoun Wildlife Conservancy (P.O. Box 1892, Leesburg, VA 20177) no later than June 30.
- Birdathon rules for 2023
- Birds of Loudoun County checklist
- Awards and prizes for 2023
- Birdathon checklist
Leave a Reply
Your email is safe with us.