Membership is Vital to Meeting Financial Goals
This year our lives have been dramatically impacted by the global pandemic, and everyone has adjusted by establishing new practices and routines. For many people, this has been an opportunity to spend more time with family and connect with nature. While we have worked to adapt to our new socially distant realities, Loudoun Wildlife has faced significant financial setbacks. Our members are the heart and soul of our organization, and we depend upon them for their engagement and investment in the future of Loudoun Wildlife.
Loudoun Wildlife needs your help to raise $60,000 this year!
Your membership is vital to our annual giving campaign, and this year our needs are greater than ever. Why?
First, many programs have been adapted to virtual experiences, but several important fundraising programs were canceled due to Coronavirus:
- Spring & Fall Native Plant Sales
- Annual Northwest Federal Milkweed Sale
- Mt. Cuba Field Trip
- Monthly 25th Anniversary Events
- Fee-based Education Programs
Secondly, additional lost revenue opportunities strained our finances, including:
- Dulles Greenway’s Drive for Charity canceled. Historically, the annual contributions have been instrumental to funding our programs and our wildlife habitat protection efforts.
- Flash flood. More than 150 copies of Birds of Loudoun books were damaged and rendered unsellable by a flash flood on August 14.
You can play an integral role and help us raise $60,000 to meet our needs. Throughout the year, we applied for a variety of funding opportunities to help offset our revenue losses. While we succeeded in receiving a small Paycheck Protection Program forgivable loan, and a small CARES Act grant, financing for wildlife is not a top priority for COVID-19 relief, and we are facing a significant funding gap. Your support now is vital to our success. Our members continue to be our most important asset.
In spite of great adversity, we are extremely proud that we have been able to continue to operate and serve our community in many ways.
In 2020 we accomplished some incredible feats thanks to the hard work, dedication, and determination of our members. This year, Loudoun Wildlife:
- Completed purchase of JK Black Oak Wildlife Sanctuary. This 87-acre globally rare wetland is a natural gem of Loudoun County, and we are excited to be stewards of this incredible property.
- Established an endowment with the Community Foundation. Our members helped create a lasting legacy and perpetual future revenue source for our organization.
- Transitioned to virtual programs. We brought Wine for Wildlife and numerous education programs into your homes, so you could experience the awe and wonder of nature.
- Continued advocating for wildlife during the Zoning Ordinance Rewrite and the ongoing creation of the Emerald Ribbons linear park and trail system.
- Continued citizen science programs. Audubon at Home, bluebird nest box monitoring, and our annual Butterfly Count have all either continued to operate or modified their programs with COVID-19 protocols.
- Planned for safe reopening. We are cautiously offering programs as safety permits this fall including hosting a fall Birdathon.
How can you invest in Loudoun Wildlife?
- Donate: join or renew your membership. Your commitment provides vital resources. Your membership will extend until December 31, 2021. Membership benefits begin at $35, but larger contributions will help minimize the impacts of COVID-19 and other 2020 setbacks.
- Birdathon. You can sponsor an existing team, create your own team, or count on your own. This year, our annual event is taking place during fall migration rather than spring migration. It’s a fun, interactive way to get involved and contribute.
- 25th Anniversary Celebration, October 23. You can join us virtually to participate and celebrate our history and look forward to our future!
- #GivingTuesday, December 1. You can be a part of a global movement that helps transform our local community.
- Spread the word. You can be an ambassador for us. Sharing your story about why you care about wildlife inspires your friends, family, co-workers, and neighbors to give as well.
Your contribution increases our capacity to meet the growing challenges of protecting healthy wildlife habitats in Loudoun County. Your investment in Loudoun Wildlife Conservancy is an investment in the future quality of life for wildlife and people in Loudoun County.
This is an opportunity for us to come together and support one another to build a better now and a better future for our community. We look forward to connecting with you in-person once again, but in the meantime, we will continue to share our love and passion for wildlife and healthy habitats with you through video and other virtual avenues.