News and Highlights
You've made it possible! You've come to see the magic of hummingbirds, counted bird and butterfly species, and brought your family to one or more of our family friendly nature walks. We have worked together to help this year's Monarch butterflies by planting milkweed and other native plants and by raising butterflies that are making their journey south. Through our programs, you've seen bats and moths — and this month you can join us for an evening with owls! All of this and more has been possible because of your support. Your membership truly does makes a difference! Join or renew now and your membership will be good through December 2017. Click here to join or renew today!
If you'd like to mail in your membership payment, send your name, address, email address and payment to P.O. Box 1892, Leesburg, VA 20177.
Birds, birds and more birds! With the cooler weather, this is a great time to get outdoors and look for the many resident and migratory bird species. October starts with the release of a Great Horned Owl, then a program mid-month about owls in our area. If you'd like to brush up your birding skills, sign up for our Beginning Birding workshop and field trip led by Bill Brown, then join us for walks at Banshee Reeks and the Blue Ridge Center for Environmental Stewardship. Details on all these events are below.
Our office hours: Beginning this month, unless otherwise noted, our office hours will be 9:30-11:30 a.m. on Tuesdays and 10:00 a.m. to noon on Fridays. Stop by if you need some gear, books, or gifts for the holidays! Our office is located in the Winmill Carriage Museum at Morven Park (GPS: 17171 Southern Planter Ln., Leesburg).
Summary of Upcoming Events
- Nature Stewardship Day — Sunday, October 16, 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. (rain date October 23),Dominion High School, Sterling.
- The Meadow Project’s "Hometown Habitat — Stories of Bringing Nature Home." Wednesday, October 19, 7:00 - 8:30 p.m. Rust Library.
- Smart Gardeners Sale —Friday, October 21, 10 a.m. – 7 p.m., and Saturday, October 22, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. Watermark Woods, 16764 Hamilton Station Rd., Hamilton.
- Birding the Blue Ridge Center — Saturday, October 22, 8:00 a.m. 11661 Harpers Ferry Road (Rte 671).
- Seeds of Life at 50 West Vineyard — Saturday, October 22, 2:30-3:30 p.m. 39060 John Mosby Hwy., Middleburg.
- The Vulture: Invaluable Friend, Unfortunate Underdog — Thursday, November 3, 7:00 p.m., Lovettsville Game Protective Association Hall, 16. South Berlin Pike, Lovettsville.
- Changing Seasons Walk — Sunday, November 6, 9:30 a.m., Morven Park.
|Special Thanks to the Dulles Greenway for their generous donation from their annual "Drive for Charity"
Brown Thrasher Photo by Nicole Hamilton.
“Those who contemplate the beauty of the earth find reserves of strength that will endure as long as life lasts.”
- Rachel Carson
Help Keep the Magic Alive!
Click here for more information