|News and Highlights
- Rebalancing Loudoun's Approach to Lyme Disease Mitigation Yes, Lyme disease is present in Loudoun County. Last year the County chose to spray local parks and defacto sent the message that spraying pesticides is the answer to addressing Lyme, which it is not. On February 5, 2014 Loudoun Wildlife Conservancy released a position paper making the case for a fresh approach to Lyme disease prevention in Loudoun County, Virginia. The paper, entitled "Rebalancing Loudoun County's Approach to Lyme Disease Mitigation," addresses the Loudoun County Board of Supervisors and Loudoun Lyme Disease Commission with recommendations for a focus on measures that provide high levels of Lyme disease protection and are also safe from the risk of toxic chemicals. You can download and read the paper here.
- Audubon at Home Wildlife Sanctuary Program: Certify your home with us as a wildlife sanctuary! All the steps and certification guidelines are here and we can even help by sending an Audubon Ambassador to your home for consultation.
Summary of Upcoming Events
- Morven Park Nature Walk — Sunday, March 2, 1:00 – 4:00 p.m. Program Full -Wailist Only
- Birding Banshee— Saturday, March 8, 8:00 a.m.
- Family Oriented Birding Classes for Novices [see program listing for full details]
- Woodcocks at the Institute Farm— Tuesday, March 11, Time TBD. Program Full -Wailist Only
- Vanishing Vernal Pools and the Amphibians That Use Them — Class March 14, 6:00 – 8:30 p.m., Morven Park, followed by Field Session March 15 or 16, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Midweek Bird Walk at Dulles Greenway Wetlands ― Wednesday, March 19, 8:00 a.m. Program Full -Wailist Only
- Birding the Blue Ridge Center — Saturday, March 22, 8:00 a.m.
- Discovering the Wildlife and Habitats of Willowsford — Saturday, March 22, 10:00 a.m. Program Full -Wailist Only
||Special Thanks to the Dulles Greenway for their generous donation from their annual "Drive for Charity"
Red-shouldered Hawk. Photo by Nicole Hamilton.
“Those who contemplate the beauty of the earth find reserves of strength that will endure as long as life lasts.”
- Rachel Carson
Help Keep the Magic Alive!
Click here for more information